top of page

History of the School

Harold Boys’ National School is named in memory of John and George Harold, who were priests in this area in the 19th century. The school opened on the 7th of January 1901 and celebrated the centenary in 2001. When it opened in 1901 it was a two-roomed school with outdoor toilets and a fuel shed in the yard.

A third room of red brick was added at the back later and then in the 1960s a further two rooms were built on the north side of the original building. The physical appearance of the school today dates from that time.


The register shows that a total of 90 pupils were registered in 1901. There was an Infants’ class of 10 pupils in this number and the age ranged from 4 to 8 years. A total of 75 parents had Dalkey addresses and the balance came from Killiney, Ballybrack, Sallynoggin and Glenageary. The occupantions of the parents/guardians make interesting reading. By far the most common one mentioned was Gardener, although there

were a great variety of occupations mentioned. Some of these we know well today like Carpenter, Butcher, Shoemaker, Painter, Postman, and Policeman. Others remind us of bygone days and ways that have disappeared – the D.M.P., the Irish Yeomanry, Scavenger, Lodge Keeper, Railway and Coach Man.



The original register shows that classes ranged from Infants to Seventh Class. It is noticeable in 1901 that very

few pupils went on to second level. The few that did went on to Glasthule C.B.S., Dun Laoghaire and Blackrock College. The rest are described in the “destination of pupil” column as going to “work” or sometimes the work is named like Telegraph Messenger, Shop boy, Gardener, Plasterer, Delivery Parcels,

Guinness and one as Pawn Broker.


The school was refurbished in 2007.  This included new roofs, windows, insulation, heating system etc. With the increase in pupil numbers, the school was extended.  In 2012 a corridor was built linking the old school to a modern classroom which included pupils’ toilets. Another extension was then built bringing the total number of classrooms to 5. The old classroom at the back of the school was then converted to a

Computer Room.

bottom of page